Alvis Supacat 6x6 1600 MK II
OUT FROM STOCK!!!
Special forces 6x6 high mobility load carrier fitted with 1,800kg electric winch
The Alvis Supacat 6x6 1600 has permanent six wheel drive (6x6) with the front four wheels (two axles) steered conventionally (Ackerman) by using a rotating handlebar arrangement.
These handlebars also operate the steering brakes (inboard discs) which act independently on each side of the vehicle giving brake (skid) steering. The Supacat is diesel powered and driven through a torque convertor, three forward and one reverse ratio automatic gearbox and a single differential. Twin output shafts transmit the drive to the two drop gear reduction boxes, which carry the inboard disc brakes.
The centre axle is shaft driven direct from the drop gearbox. The centre axles carry the outboard, foot pedal operated disc brakes which are effective on all wheels. The final drive to the front and rear wheels is by heavy duty one inch (1") pitch duplex chains. The Supacat is built around a steel rectangular hollow section (RHS) chassis frame which forms the entire shape of the vehicle and to which all components and attachments are fitted. The body of the Supacat is made from graded aluminium and forms a hull which enables the vehicle to float and protects the majority of mechanical components. The belly plate is of 5mm hardened aluminium.
Alvis Supacat 6x6 1600 MK II - Technical Specification
ENGINE - 1600
Make - Volkswagen 1.6 lt
Fuel - diesel
Cylinders - four (4)
Displacement - 1896 cc
Bore & Stroke - 79.5 x 95.5 mm
Compression ratio - 23:1
Power - 58 Kw (78 bhp) @ 4000 rpm
Max torque - 164 Nm (121 lbs/ft) @ 1850 rpm
Max engine speed - 5200 rpm
Valve arrangement - overhead hydraulic tappets.
Cooling - pressurised liquid, mechanical fan.
- water/oil coolers, engine and gearbox
Type - Diesel ( Summer or Winter as required )
Option - Diesel + Petrol up to 30% maximum, > - 25C
- Avtur FS 11 (F - 34) may be used but it will
reduce engine life and invalidate the warranty.
Type - Dry, paper element
Make - Volkswagen / Audi
Type - Automatic 089
Ratios - 2.71 / 1.50 / 1.00 / R 2.43:1
TORQUE CONVERTER - (Integral with gearbox)
Ratio - Maximum conversion ratio 2.5
Make - Volkswagen / Audi
Ratio - 3.25 : 1
DROP GEARBOXES - (Two, one each side)
Make - Supacat
Ratio - 3.37 : 1
Make - Supacat
Type - Chain driven from centre axle, one on each
side of vehicle with steerable hub.
Make - Supacat
Type - Common to drop gearboxes, shaft driven
steerable hub with disc brake.
Make - Land Rover - Supacat uprated.
Type - 90 /110
Make - Supacat
Type - Chain driven solid shaft running in two chassis
mounted bearings, one each side of vehicle.
Type - 1 pitch duplex, tensioned by adjustable idler
gear, four identical chains per vehicle.
STEERING - (Ackerman)
Make - Supacat
Type - Handle bar operated, power assisted
STEERING - (Brake)
Make - Supacat / AP.
Type - Handlebar operated hydraulic, onto inboard
discs, one per side controlling all wheels on
that side through transmission.
Make - Supacat / AP
Type - Foot pedal operated hydraulic onto outboard Land
Rover 110 discs, one per side controlling all
wheels through transmission.
Type - Transmission lock integral with gearbox.
Type - Low pressure tyres.
Power - 12 volt
Alternator - 65 amp
Battery - 66 amp hour
Starter motor - 1.8 Kw
Radio suppression - optional
ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS Alvis Supacat 6x6 1600
- horn, lights, indicators, rear fog light, cold
start, hazard warning, (bilge pumps, convoy
lights, winch, winch/intervehicle start power
plug, auxiliary lights, auxiliary poweroutput)
(Option - FLPT power and control output)
- Head, side, tail, brake, indicators, to UK road
- Trailer socket optional, 7 pin, NATO 12 pin,
or as required.
- Tachometer, coolant temperature, fuel level,
Type - Steel centre and reinforced rim
Size - 13 x 15
Size - 31 x 15.5 x 15 (Section width 389mm, O/D 788mm)
Ply rating - 4 ply
Tubes - Tubed or tubeless
Make - Avon Tredlite or Goodyear Wrangler
Construction - Cross ply
Sealant - Optional in tubeless
Chassis frame - Welded steel rectangular hollow section of
various dimensions. This incorporates lifting /
towing points which may be used for helicopter
underslinging. Parts of the frame are accessible
and may be used for the attachment to and / or
support of additional equipment. Load securing
points are also incorporated.
Body panels - Aluminium plate of various grades of hardness
and thickness according to position and duty.
Some are riveted onto the frame, others are
removable. Some GRP is also used.
Belly plate - One piece, 5mm half hard aluminium plate
extending from the front panel, under the
entire vehicle to just below the tailgate.
N.B. - This method of construction forms a hull which
allows an open top Supacat to float.
- Towing attachments may be fitted below the tail
gate (height 410mm / 16") or to the optional
heavy duty tailgate (640mm / 25"). The standard
attachment is a 50mm ball universal hitch on the
lower position. NATO or equivalent hitches may
also be fitted as required.
Two (2) lifting/towing eyes are fitted both at
the front and rear of the Supacat as standard.
- The Supacat is capable of producing
approximately 2 tonnes of drawbar
pull in ideal conditions.
- Fuel 50 litres (11 galls)
- Engine oil 4.5 litres
- Coolant 10 litres
- Front axle 0.5 litre (each)
- Drop gearbox 1.25 litres (each)
- Chassis lube 2 litres
- Gearbox 2.5 litres
- Differential 0.75 litres
- Power steering 2 litres
- Only the principal dimensions are listed -
please see Supacat Dimension Sheet for more
detail. All dimensions in millimetres (mm).
- Overall length, 3335 (minimum)
- Overall length, 3440 (with NATO hitch)
- Overall width, 2000 (wheel to wheel)
- Overall width, 1870 (vehicle structure)
- Maximum height, 1895 (open vehicle)
- Maximum height, 2010 (cabbed vehicle)
- Minimum height, 1210 (non cabbed folded)
- Wheel base, 1846
- Wheel track 1601 (centre to centre)
- Platform height, 940
- Load area, 1445 x 1870
- Ground clearance 215 (on wheels)
- Ground clearance 316 (on tracks)
- Angle of approach 57 degrees
- Angle of departure 58 degrees
- Ramp length, 2690 (optional extra)
- Height of two Supacats stacked & folded 2150
- Fording depth laden approximately 860 mm
- Unladen vehicle floats at approximately 700 mm
depth of water.
- Basic Supacat - 1690 Kgs (calculated)
- ATMP - 1800 Kgs (090)
- Soft Top Range Special - 1810 Kgs (071)
- Hard Top - 2140 Kgs (083)
- Winch kit - 50 kgs
- Ramps - 26 kgs each
- Spare wheel - 41 kgs
- CES kit - 25 kgs approx
- FLPT (trailer) - 457 kgs
- tonne trailer - 280 kgs
- This ability is limited but the Supacat will
float without preparation Bilge pumps are
available as optional equipment. An outboard
motor can be fitted to the tailgate. Only open
top Supacats can be floated. Load limited to
300 kgs plus driver.
- N.B. The following figures are for guidance
only, performance will vary according to vehicle
specification and prevailing conditions.
- Maximum speed 64 kph (40 mph)
- Speed range infinitely variable, 0 - max,
full torque at zero speed.
- Gradability 100% (45 degrees)
- Fuel consumption
- Drawbar pull 2.0 tonnes (estimated)
- Payload 1.0 tonne (normal)
1.4 tonnes (maximum)
- Fording depth 860 mm (34 inches, laden)
- Floating depth 710 mm (28 inches, unladen)
- Load when floating 300 kgs. (open vehicle only)
- Stability in excess of 50 degrees, static
unladen in all directions.
- Turning circle diameter kerb to kerb
Ackerman - 14.35 m
Braked - 4.8 m
TRACKS - (optional extra)
Type - Full - Supacat single pin jointed rubber belt with
rubber moulded cleats fixed by bolts.
Approximate effective ground contact area
500 mm x 2306 mm per track.
- Half Track - Under developement, rubber half track with
steerable front axle.
WINCH - (optional extra)
Type - Warn 8000 / Superwinch Husky
Pull (first layer) - 3636 kgs / 3850 kgs
Cable diameter - 8 mm / 8 mm
Cable length - 24 metres / 45 metres
Power supply - 12 volt direct from vehicle`s battery
Location - centre (standard), front or rear of vehicle
by fitting to lifting / towing eyes.
- The Supacat may be lifted by a fork lift with
the forks between the wheels and acting on the
bellyplate. The vehicle may be hoisted by the
load restraint frame which is at the
longitudinal centre of gravity. The front and
rear lifting / towing eyes may also be used.
AIR MOBILITY Alvis Supacat 6x6 1600
- The lifting / towing eyes may be used for
helicopter underslinging and are approved by
JATE. There are optional parachute brackets
designed to take parachuting loads direct into
the vehicle frame. The vehicle is normally
parachuted on an MSP (Medium Stresed Platform)
but other schemes are under development.
Supacats may be underslung individually or in
pairs side by side or as a group of four side by
side with no additional preparation. Supacats
may be flown stacked as an internal load and
are designed to fold down and with optional
ramps, to selfstack. Supacats may be flown
underslung laden as a netted load only.
Supacats can be transported as internal loads by
helicopters and fixed wing aircraft as palleted
or drive in loads.